Keep Hazardous Plants Away from Your Dog | PetFirst
Pet Care & Health

Keep Hazardous Plants Away from Your Dog

by PetFirst Pet Insurance
6 days ago

The ingestion of plant material can cause stomach upset for your canine companion. We have compiled a brief list of plants common to the home to raise awareness. Keep in mind, this list is not comprehensive, and you should do some research yourself, too. If you purchase a new plant, or are considering purchasing a new plant, it’s a good idea to make sure it’s safe for your dog (and cat).

American Holly: American Holly is commonly found around the house around Christmas time. It’s kind of a Christmas tradition to have this plant as a decoration through the holidays. This is hazardous to dogs, cats, and horses. If your pet ingests American Holly, you may notice vomiting, diarrhea, and/or depression.

Apricot: Apricot is toxic to dogs, cats, and horses. The stems, leaves, and seeds contain cyanide. If your dog has eaten these parts of an apricot, you may notice dilated pupils, excessive panting, difficulty breathing, or even shock.

Azalea: Azaleas, also known as the Rhododendron, are common with landscaped homes. There’s not even a thought about these being dangerous to dogs or cats, but they’re toxic to both. If your dog or cat were to ingest any part of the Azalea, you may notice vomiting, weakness, diarrhea, and/or heart failure.

Chives: We often use chives when we’re cooking a delicious meal. But, did you know they’re toxic to dogs, cats, and horses? The consumption of chives may result in anemia, blood in urine, an abnormally high heart rate weakness, and panting.

The Daisy: Yes, daisies. Just like the ones you see growing all over the place. There are toxins inside of a daisy. These are toxic not only to dogs, but to cats as well. If your dog or cat has ingested daisies, you may notice hypersalivation, vomiting, diarrhea, and/or the inability to balance.

Grapefruit: There are essential oils and other toxins present in grapefruit. Grapefruit is not only toxic to dogs, but also to cats and horses. If your pet has ingested grapefruit, you may notice depression, vomiting, and/or diarrhea. The actual fruit is edible, but the skin and plant material is where the problems come in.

Leeks: Leeks are commonly found in wooded areas. They are also commonly purchased at the local grocery store and involved in many common dishes. Leeks are toxic to dogs, cats, and horses. If your pet has ingested leeks, you may notice excessive panting, weakness, anemia, vomiting, high heart rate, and/or blood in the urine.

If you believe your dog (or cat) is ill, or may have ingested any sort of toxin, contact the 24-hour emergency poison hotline at 1-888-426-4435. Following your call with the poison hotline, call your veterinarian to let him or her know about the incident.

If your dog ingests a toxic plant, or any sort of other toxin, vet bills can be expensive. Pet insurance can help. To grab a quick quote just to see what your monthly bill would be, visit our quote page here.

Ready? Start your free quote



Tags




You May Also Like...

Pets Named after Mascots Show Team Loyalty

T-shirts wear out. Face-paint washes away, but one expression of…

by PetFirst
38 mins ago

Should My Indoor Cat Have Pet Insurance?

There’s no doubt outdoor cats have a higher potential for…

by PetFirst
3 days ago

Indoor Cats Need Fresh Air And Exercise

Cats need to roam! Right? Wrong! It is a sometimes…

by PetFirst
4 days ago

Start your free quote.

What is your pet's name?

Get My Free Quote Get Quote