Did you know every February, the American Veterinary Medical Association sponsors National Pet Dental Health Month? It’s true! For years now, the not-for-profit AVMA has used this month-long event to raise awareness about this important aspect of pet healthcare that is too often overlooked.
Pet dental health is an often disregarded, yet essential part of a proper pet healthcare plan. Tooth and gum disease can lead to more than just smelly breath. If left untreated for too long, even minor cases of pet periodontal disease can lead to an extensive variety of severe issues, some with the capacity to seriously harm much more than your pet’s mouth.
As with any pet healthcare matter, prevention is the best path to take. To help with this, many trusted manufacturers design pet dental treats to aid in the tricky process of pet dental cleaning. So, in the spirit of National Pet Dental Month, we’ve listed some of the best pet dental treats out there so you find one that’s perfect for your furry friend and their teeth!
Pet Dental Treats
- Purina DentaLift Flavored Dental Cat Treats: Formulated with a uniquely porous texture that helps fight tartar buildup, Purina DentaLife Cat Treats are available in irresistible chicken and salmon flavors. They’ve also been formulated to provide adult cats with added calcium and taurine. They come in a variety of sizes to fit your specific feline needs, and they’ve all received overall glowing reviews from many satisfied customers on Amazon.
- BlueDental Dog Bones: Pet dental cleaning doesn’t get much more delicious than this. Blue Dental Dog Bones come in a variety of shapes and sizes, meaning you’re sure to find just the right match for any dog breed in any life stage. These chews provide all natural oral health care that helps clean and freshen canine teeth, plus taurine for heart health and vitamins to help the immune system.
- Feline Greenies Dental Cat Treats: Another hugely popular (and well-reviewed) pet healthcare treat, Feline Greenies come equipped with the recommendation of the Veterinary Oral Health Council for their effectiveness at tartar reduction. Like the other pet dental treats listed here, Feline Greenies come in a succulent variety of flavors (including catnip!) that can satisfy even the most refined feline palette. Cat dental treats made with all-natural ingredients, vitamins, minerals, AND the backing of the Veterinary Oral Health Council? What’s not to like?
- Whimzees X-Small Toothbrush Dog Treats: Looking for a veggie-based doggy treat? Look no further! These tiny toothbrush-shaped treats make for fun and easy pet dental cleaning as they fight hard against unwanted tartar and plaque buildup. What’s even better? They do so with nothing but all-natural, gluten-free, and vegetable-based ingredients!
- Benebone Peanut Butter Flavored Dental Chew Toy: What dog wouldn’t jump at the chance to celebrate Pet Dental Month with something that functions as a treat and a chew toy? This peanut butter-flavored chew toy (also available in rotisserie chicken and bacon-flavored) is designed to be chewed on for hours. It also comes with an easy-to-grab design that dogs will find hard to let go.
- Hartz Crunch ‘n Clean Savory Chicken Dental Cat Treats: Hartz Crunch ‘n Clean dental cat treats are designed to coat your feline’s teeth with a strong protective barrier that blocks new tartar and plaque from forming. In addition, they also come with added vitamins, minerals, and amino acids, making these low-calorie treats the perfect guilt-free reward to give any cat.
With so many delicious options to choose from, celebrating Pet Dental Month with your favorite furry companion is as easy as brushing your own teeth! Do your part to ensure that your cat and/or dog stays as healthy as possible with these appetizing and affordable pet dental treats.