Are you planning a summer trip that includes your furry friend? If so, you’re not alone! According to a survey conducted by the American Animal Hospital Association, more than 68 percent of pet owners travel with their pets. While saving on the expense of boarding like a great idea, traveling with your dog or cat can present some challenges. Here are some tips to help you plan a fun vacation for you and your pet:
- Schedule a pre-vacation veterinary exam and be sure to get documentation that all vaccinations are up-to-date.
- If traveling by plane, check with the airline to see what restrictions they have for pets. Some airlines only allow a few dogs on each flight, so it’s important to buy your ticket in advance.
- If traveling by car, do a test drive with your pet to see how they handle travel. Make sure they’re comfortable in their carrier or harness. Also remember, animals are always safer in the back seat.
- Call ahead to your hotel to confirm that they are a pet-friendly establishment. Ask about any specific requirements they may have at check-in.
- Carry an extra leash and I.D. tag, along with plenty of toys and treats to keep them occupied.
With just a little extra planning, your summer get-away is sure to be a great one for both you and your pet. Safe travels!