Keeping Pets Safe During the Holidays | PetFirst
Pet Care & Health

Keeping Pets Safe During the Holidays

by PetFirst Pet Insurance
2 years ago

HOLIDAY TIPS FROM

There’s so much excitement around the holidays with family visits, gifts to exchange, parties to attend and family favorite recipes to eat.  In all the hustle and bustle, sometimes we forget that our pets need routine, consistency and a watchful eye.  Here are few suggestions from the experts at PetFirst.

Tips to keep in mind include:

  • Keep a consistent feeding schedule.  This is more important for dogs since cats tend to nibble most of the day.  By feeding your dog at their regular time and asking family & friends to not feed them table scraps or sweet treats, you will avoid the risk of upset stomach, vomiting or diarrhea.
  • Keep the Christmas tree in a corner, best if out-of-sight from your pet (out-of-sight, out-of-mind, right).  Ifthat doesn’t work, try putting something that rattles in an empty water bottle and tie it to the tree limbs.  This will alert you to when your pet is sneaking around! Christmas tree water is not only toxic to your pet if they drink it, but you could end up with a dried out tree and a major fire hazard on your hands.
  • Lit candles on the Menorah or for decoration can be a serious danger for multiple reasons:  singing curious whiskers or tales that get to close, and paws that like to bat at the flame; or being accidently knocked over leaving the potential to start a fire. As always, never leave a candle unattended.
  • Warm, sunny days can turn to cold, frosty nights this time of year with the drastic temperature changes.  Most likely if you are cold, your pet is cold.  Watch for pets going in and out and if you know the temperature is taking a dip, bring the pet indoors or have their outdoor housing ready with extra blankets or straw. And don’t forget to check under the hood – cats have been known to get in car engines to stay warm so remember to tap or honk before turning the key.
  • Liquid scents or potpourri is a danger to cats and can cause long term problems with just a few licks.  Scented oils in a simmer pot are also toxic and can results in severe chemical burns in the mouth, fever, difficulty breathing and tremors.

Ready? Start your free quote



Tags




You May Also Like...

Tuckers Tale: A Case of Poisonous Mushrooms

Curiosity got the best of Tucker, an 11 1/2 month…

by PetFirst
1 day ago

Stay Safe in the Summer Heat

The hot and humid summer days keep coming, and our…

by PetFirst
1 day ago

The Top 5 Reasons Every Pet Parent Should Have Pet Insurance

Whether you are the single pet parent, the young couple,…

by PetFirst
3 weeks ago

Start your free quote.

What is your pet's name?

Get My Free Quote Get Quote
855-270-7387

Customer Support


Blog
About Us Partnerships Email Us