Spending time with your pets should be a daily habit. Not only is it a way to express love to your pet, but there are a multitude of health benefits.
Whether you’ve created a list of resolutions for the New Year, or have decided to forgo it altogether, we’ve found five habits that have physical and mental health benefits for both you and your furry friend.
- Daily walk: according to CDC guidelines, adults should get 150 minutes of moderate to intense active time every week. By taking your dog for a 30 minute walk every day, you’re getting a moderate workout, and great bonding time.
- Cuddle with your cat or dog daily: Spending time with pets has been proven to lower the amount of cortisol in the body—reducing stress. Furthermore, it increases the amount of serotonin in the system which helps one feel relaxed and at peace.
- Adopt a cat: While not everyone may be a cat person, simply owning a cat has shown to help lower risks for heart problems. By adopting a cat from your local shelter, you’re also helping to save a life.
- Sign up for a Doga class: No, that’s not a typing error. “Doga” or “yoga with your dog classes” are popping up all over the country. Sign you and your canine counterpart up for a class. It’s a great opportunity for you and your pooch to socialize, while also benefitting you both physically.
- Bake for your pet now and again: for many, baking is a relaxing past-time. A simple web search yields hundreds of results for cat and dog treat recipes. By baking them yourself, you can be sure of which ingredients are being fed to your beloved pet. It’s also cost efficient—no more purchasing expensive, processed treats for your furry friend.
These are just a few ideas to help spend more time with your pet this year. Whatever you do, the most important thing is to spend time together, and make sure that you and your pet practice an active, healthy lifestyle together.
AboutPetFirst is the fastest growing pet insurer in North America offering easy-to-understand lifelong coverage for dogs and cats. PetFirst’s comprehensive coverage is unique in the industry providing simplified policies with coverage for hereditary, chronic and breed-specific conditions with no per-diagnosis limits. PetFirst polices are underwritten by American Alternative Insurance Corporation (Munich Re) which is rated by A.M. Best as A+. Additional services are underwritten by Lloyd’s. For more information about PetFirst pet insurance, visit www.petfirst.com or call 855-270-7387.