Common Household Dangers | PetFirst Pet Insurance
Pet Care & Health

Common Household Dangers

by PetFirst Pet Insurance
9 years ago

There are many potential hazards for our pets around the house. Please review the following list of dangerous household items and make the necessary changes in your home to keep your pets safe.

Chemicals
Cleaning products containing phenol (Pine-Sol and Lysol) are especially toxic to cats. When ingested, they can cause muscle twitches, coma and respiratory distress. De-icing salts are not only toxic when ingested, but they are paw irritants as well. Also, anti-freeze containing ethylene glycol is extremely poisonous. Symptoms include panting, vomiting and convulsions. Look for anti-freeze with propylene glycol as a safer alternative. All chemicals should be stored so that pets can’t open them or tip them over. If a spill occurs, be sure to clean it thoroughly according to the instructions on the label. If you suspect poisoning, contact your vet immediately.

Human Food and Medication
Foods that should never be given to pets include chocolate, onions and grapes. Even a small amount of chocolate can cause excitability, tremors and even seizures. Onions can cause anemia, and grapes are known to cause kidney failure in dogs. Leftovers that contain bones are a choking hazard and can puncture the stomach or intestines if ingested, so be sure to discard them. Pain killers, cold medicines and diet pills are dangerous for animals and should be kept sealed and stored in a cabinet or on a shelf away from pets.

Plants
There are several plant varieties that are toxic to dogs and cats. For a list of toxic plants visit http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/plants/. Plants should be kept out of reach, and if you believe your pet is having a reaction to a plant, see a vet immediately.

Objects
Rubber bands, string and yarn can cause strangulation and should be kept off the floor at all times. Also, small toys and rawhide chews can pose a choking hazard, so allow your pets to have these only when under supervision. Electric cords should be kept hidden or covered so that a curious dog or cat can’t chew through them.

Taking steps to “pet-proof” your home is the best way to prevent accidents and emergency trips to the vet.

Ready? Start your free quote



Tags




You May Also Like...

Compliance and Risk Manager

Position Overview: The Compliance Manager will manage PetFirst’s underwriting relationships…

by PetFirst
6 days ago

Golden Retrievers

Life Expectancy: 10 - 12 years Dog Breed Group: Sporting Dogs…

by PetFirst
2 weeks ago

Protect Your Pets from These Common Household Poisons

March is a great time of year! For those of…

by PetFirst
3 months ago

Start your free quote.

What is your pet's name?

Get My Free Quote Get Quote
855-270-7387

Customer Support


Blog
About Us Partnerships Email Us