You can always check the phone book or pick a veterinary clinic that is close to home, but investing just a little time to research your pet’s veterinary options can provide significant peace of mind down the road.
- Ask other pet owners. Most will be candid when asked if they like their own vet.
- Check with your state Veterinary Medical Board to see if any complaints have been filed.
- Make sure your new vet likes dogs or cats. Your vet’s preference can sometimes affect the quality of care your pet receives.
- Find out if 24 hour emergency care and/or consultation is available.
- Determine if someone stays with your pet non-stop if an overnight stay is required.
- Watch the interaction between vet and vet technicians. Are they friendly? Does courtesy and politeness rule the day?
- Make sure the location is convenient for you – especially in the event of an emergency.
- Trust your instincts. If you feel uncomfortable, for any reason at all, keep looking.