April is Active Dog Month
The month of April is Active Dog Month. This month-long…
Do you know what to do if your curious and inquisitive cat or dog stumbles upon a bee or wasp and is stung?
Bee and wasp stings can range from mild symptoms to potentially life threatening. Keep reading so you’ll know what to do if your furry friend has such an encounter.
Our pets explore the world and make their learned observations by using their senses with their mouths and paws. This is why stings are usually seen around the mouth, nose, throat and paws.
One of the best ways to prevent stings is to teach your dog the “come” and “leave it” commands so you can safely direct them out of harm’s way.
But there are times when no matter how careful we are, our pets may learn some painful lessons.
Here are some of the tell-tale signs your pet has been stung:
It’s important to note that bees will lose their barbed stingers and can usually only sting once. Wasp on the other hand can sting repeatedly if provoked enough. While the puncture of the sting is painful, it is the venom that is injected that can cause an anaphylactic reaction. *If your pet has been stung previously or receives many stings at one time the chances for an anaphylactic reaction are greater. An anaphylactic reaction is potentially life threatening and will require immediate veterinary treatment.*
What are the steps you should take if you believe your pet has been stung?
If your pet does not appear to be having an allergic reaction:
Nothing in this article should be construed as financial, legal or veterinary advice. Please consult your own advisors for questions relating to your and your pet’s specific circumstances.