Help for Policyholders Affected by Government Shutdown
We're here to help. Our thoughts go out to government…
As chilly weather approaches and people are winterizing their automobiles, antifreeze presents a danger to pets.
The Humane Society of the United States estimates that 10,000 companion animals die each year from antifreeze poisoning.
It takes only a few tablespoons of highly toxic antifreeze to jeopardize a pet’s life, so pet parents need to know how to protect their dogs and cats. Ethylene glycol, the main ingredient in almost all major antifreeze brands, has an inviting aroma and a sweet flavor.
There is an alternative with propylene glycol antifreeze, which has a bitter taste making it less attractive to pets. Although it’s safer than ethylene glycol antifreeze, propylene glycol antifreeze is still toxic. There are several steps you can take to prevent antifreeze poisoning:
Symptoms of antifreeze poisoning are usually visible within 30 minutes of ingestion. Pets that appear lethargic, disoriented, uncoordinated and groggy should be taken to the veterinarian quickly.