So you found a perfect home and are looking forward to the cozy winter nights snuggling on the couch with your pup and a cup of hot cocoa. Before that ideal picture can become reality, you and your furry friend have to embark on the moving journey, especially if your new home is located across the country. We put together some tips and tricks to make your move as smooth as possible.
Plan in Advance. Because so much goes into transporting your pet, you have to plan everything out ahead of time.
- Check local pet laws. Most states and counties have different laws and regulations regarding licensing pets. Typically, you’ll be able to register your pet online.
- Get ID tags with your new address. Most people get busy with unpacking and forget to update their pet’s ID tags. It’s better to get it done prior to the big move to have peace of mind and know that your pup can be found and returned in case she decides to explore while you are you unloading boxes.
- Map out your road trip. If you are moving cross-country and decide to drive, it would be a good idea to map out bathroom stops and book pet-friendly hotels. You might also want to find a couple of parks along the way in case your pet needs a walk.
- Get some practice trips under your belt. If you’ve never taken your pet on trips, it might be smart to do at least a couple of practice trips before the long drive. That way, your furry friend will get used to traveling with you, and you might learn about potential complications. A lot of dogs suffer from car sickness, or your cat may get restless if they are in their crate for too long. You should also familiarize them with a crate if you haven’t already.
- Explore your options. If all the planning gets too overwhelming, consider using professional pet transportation services. It’s always better to be safe than sorry! The cost ranges between $300 to $1000, but it might be well worth the price.
Make your road trip comfortable for you and your pet. When the big day arrives, you should be prepared with all the essentials needed for a smooth move.
- Pack a separate travel bag for your pet. Have all the essentials such as food, water, and poop bags on hand, and easily accessible to ensure the smooth ride. Treats and your pet’s favorite toys will make your buddy feel comfortable while in the car.
- Enlist the help of friends and family. If it’s possible, find a partner to join you on the ride. When it’s their turn to drive, you can relax on the backseat and comfort your best friend.
Make it easy for your pet to settle in their new home. The move itself is only a small part of the journey. The next step would be to make sure that your furbaby feels at home in your house.
- Make it feel familiar. The best way to ensure that your pup or kitten adapts quicker is to make the new place feel like the old one. No need to invest in a new dog/cat bed, water bowls or toys. Try to keep the same home setup.
- Get a temporary pet sitter. In the beginning, you might want to keep your pet supervised and hire some help for the times you are not around. You don’t want to leave your Fido all alone in the beginning, because it’s easier to prevent separation anxiety than treat it. The National Association of Professional Pet Sitters has some useful resources and tips on finding a certified pet sitter.
- Be patient. Even if you thought you were done with housebreaking years ago, the stress of the move might trigger a few accidents in the new house. Just be consistent, use positive reinforcement, and your pet will be feeling at home in no time!
We hope that these tips will help you and your pet get through the move smoothly, and start a happy life in your new home.
Content provided by Apartment List. Apartment List is the fastest-growing online rental marketplace on a mission to make finding a home an easy and delightful process. Apartment List is passionate about animal welfare issues and provides extensive pet-friendly housing options. In fact, about 80% of properties on the website are pet-friendly and their pet-friendly search is completely free. It also strives to provide the most detailed pet policies on their listings. The company has been named one of Forbes’ “Top 25 Most Promising Companies” and one of Inc.’s “Fastest Growing Private Companies in the U.S.” Learn more at www.apartmentlist.com.